Equilateral Triangle Within a Square - Problem With Solution
A problem on the proof of an equilateral triangle within a square is presented along with detailed solution.
Problem : In the figure below, ABCD is a square. Prove that triangle DMC is equilateral.
Solution to Problem :
- AMB is an isosceles triangle and therefore MA = MB. Also the sizes of angles MAD and MBC are equal. Hence triangles DAM and CBM have an equal angle between two equal sides are therefore congruent. Since triangles DAM and CBM are congruent sides DM and CM are equal in size and therefore triangle DCM is isosceles.
- We draw the perpendicular MM' to CB and we consider the right triangles MCM' and MBM' and the tangent of angles MCM' and MBM'.
tan(MCM') = MM' / CM'
tan(MBM') = MM' / BM'
- The above may be written as
CM' = MM' / tan(MCM') and BM' = MM' / tan(MBM')
- Note that the size of angle MBM' is equal to 75 degrees. Let the length of the side of the square be x. Hence
MM' = x / 2 and CM' + BM' = x
- Substitute the above in the equations CM' = MM' / tan(MCM') and BM' = MM' / tan(MBM') to obtain
x = (x/2) / tan(MCM') + (x/2) / tan(75 degrees)
- Divide all terms of the equation by x and multiply them by 2 to obtain
2 = 1 / tan(MCM') + 1 / tan(75 degrees)
- tan(75 degrees) is calculated using the tangent of a sum formula follows
tan(75 degrees) = tan(30 degrees + 45 degrees) =
[ tan(30) + tan(45) ] / [ 1 - tan(30)*(tan(45) ] = 2 + sqrt(3)
- Substitute tan(75 degrees) by 2 + sqrt(3) into the equation 2 = 1 / tan(MCM') + 1 / tan(75 degrees) to obtain
1 / tan(MCM') = 2 - 1 / [ 2 + sqrt(3) ]
- Simplify the above and solve for tan(MCM') to obtain
tan(MCM') = 1 / sqrt(3)
- Solve the above trigonometric eqution to find the size of angle MCM'
MCM' = 30 degrees
- The size of angle DCM is now calculated as follows
DCM= 90 degrees - 30 degrees = 60 degrees
- and since triangle DCM is isosceles then angle CDM is also equal to 60 degrees and the triangle is equilateral.
More references to geometry problems.
Geometry Tutorials, Problems and Interactive Applets.
Free Trigonometry Questions with Answers
Interactive HTML5 Math Web Apps for Mobile LearningNew !
Free Online Graph Plotter for All Devices
Home Page --
HTML5 Math Applets for Mobile Learning --
Math Formulas for Mobile Learning --
Algebra Questions -- Math Worksheets
Free Compass Math tests Practice
Free Practice for SAT, ACT Math tests
Precalculus Tutorials --
Precalculus Questions and Problems
Precalculus Applets --
Equations, Systems and Inequalities
Online Calculators --
Geometry Tutorials --
Geometry Calculators --
Calculus Tutorials --
Calculus Questions --
Applied Math --
Math Software --
High School Math --
Middle School Math --
Math Videos From Analyzemath
Updated: 2 April 2013
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 - All rights reserved