Verify Trigonometric Identities
How to verify trigonometric identities? Several examples with detailed solutions are presented. Since we will make use of the basic trigonometric identities, a list of these Trigonometric Identities
is available in this site.
No single method works for all identities. However following certain steps might help. To verify an identity, you may start by transforming the more complicated side into the other using basic identities. Or you may transform the two sides into one same expression.
Verify the identity cos x * tan x = sin x
Solution to Example 1:
- We start with the left side and transform it into sin x. Use the identity tan x = sin x / cos x in the left side.
cos x * tan x = cos x * (sin x / cos x) = sin x
Verify the identity cot x * sec x * sin x = 1
Solution to Example 2
- Use the identities cot x = cos x / sin x and sec x = 1/ cos x in the left side.
cot x * sec x * sin x = (cos x / sin x) * (1/ cos x) * sin x
- Simplify to obtain.
(cos x / sin x) * (1/ cos x) * sin x = 1
Verify the identity [ cot x - tan x ] / [sin x * cos] = csc2x - sec2x
Solution to Example 3
- We use the identities cot x = cos x / sin x and tan x = sin x / cos x to transform the left side as follows.
[ cot x - tan x ] / [sin x * cos] = [cos x / sin x - sin x / cos x] / [sin x * cos]
- Rewrite the upper part of the above with a common denominator .
= [cos 2x / sin x * cos x- sin 2x / cos x * sin x] / [sin x * cos]
= [cos 2x - sin 2x] / [sin x * cos]2 (expression 1)
- We now transform the right side using the identities csc x = 1 / sin x and sec x = 1 / cos x.
csc2x - sec2x = (1/sin x)2 - (1/cos x)<2
- We now rewrite the above expression with a common denominator
= [ cos2x - sin2x ] / [sin x * cos]2 (expression 2)
- We have transformed the left side to expression 1 and the right side to expression 2. These two expressions are equal. We have verified the given identity.
- Verify the identity sin x + cos x * cot x = csc x.
- Verify the identity [csc x / (1 + csc x) - csc x / (1 - csc x)] = 2*sec2x.
Trigonometric Identities and Their Applications
Trigonometric Formulas and Their Applications
Online Step by Step Calculus Calculators and SolversNew !
Factor Quadratic Expressions - Step by Step CalculatorNew !
Step by Step Calculator to Find Domain of a Function New !
Free Trigonometry Questions with Answers
Interactive HTML5 Math Web Apps for Mobile LearningNew !
Free Online Graph Plotter for All Devices
Home Page --
HTML5 Math Applets for Mobile Learning --
Math Formulas for Mobile Learning --
Algebra Questions -- Math Worksheets
Free Compass Math tests Practice
Free Practice for SAT, ACT Math tests
Precalculus Tutorials --
Precalculus Questions and Problems
Precalculus Applets --
Equations, Systems and Inequalities
Online Calculators --
Geometry Tutorials --
Geometry Calculators --
Calculus Tutorials --
Calculus Questions --
Applied Math --
Math Software --
High School Math --
Middle School Math --
Math Videos From Analyzemath
Updated: February 2015
Copyright © 2003 - 2015 - All rights reserved